1. Practice kindness in every aspect of your life. While you’re driving, wave someone through who is waiting to get out of a parking lot into the road. Give your leftovers to someone who is hungry.
2. Do simple things to make yourself feel nurtured. File and clean your nails– maybe even get a manicure or pedicure. Take a nap, clean your sheets and make your bed, shower, wash and condition your hair, shave, and let yourself relax.
3. Face your finances and deal with your debt. Look at how much you owe and how much you have. Make a plan to pay off your debt. It will just make you feel better.
4. Take a long, quiet walk in nature. Being in nature is good for your mind, body and spirit.
5. Sit down and drink a hot cup of tea.
6. Rent a funny movie and laugh a lot.
7. Smile at 10 random people. You will instantly feel bright and joyous and full of love when you infuse good into the world and it will integrate it into your own psyche.
8. If you don’t feel like smiling, force it. The activation of the muscles used to create a smile actually decrease stress in increase feelings of well-being.
9. Express gratitude. One of the great tragedies of our psyches is that it is so difficult to appreciate what we have one we are wanting more. It’s important to want more, but the way to really find happiness is to appreciate and love and be grateful for what you have. Don’t let yourself believe that you’ll be happy when… Be happy now. Be grateful now. Don’t allow your happiness to be held hostage by future events that may or may not happen. Make a list, even in your mind, of all the things you’re grateful for.
10. Try self-hypnosis to bring joy into your world. This works because your world is created by the thoughts you think.
11. Spend time with your pet. Being around animals and caring for them make humans happier.
12. Pray to whatever deity you believe in, even if it’s your own higher self.
13. Jump up and down for 60 seconds. Your endorphins will release and you will feel good!
14. Put music on and dance like crazy. Even if you think you can’t dance, just dance. My toddler loves to shake his head back and forth to any rhythm and it makes him deliriously happy.
15. Talk to the dead. Just get into a quiet mood and begin talking either out loud or in your head to someone you miss. Having conversations in your head with people who have passed away can be incredibly healing.
16. Compliment someone. Tell someone how beautiful they are, or what a good job they’re doing or how much you appreciate them. It will bring joy to their world and make you happy too.
17. Call someone you haven’t spoken to in a long time.
18. Drink a glass of water. Mild dehydration can cause a bad mood and pessimism.
19. Stretch your legs, roll your ankles, your wrists, roll your neck, get your body into a comfortable position. Stretching makes you happy!
20. Play in the dirt! Gardening can make you feel happy. Mycobacterium, which occurs naturally in soil, has the same effect on your brain as anti-depressant medications.
21. Look at old pictures — for a bonus happiness boost, share them with someone you love.
22. Try to do a push up. If you cannot, try again the next day. Within a week, you’ll be able to do a pushup. Do this everyday and by the end of a month, you’ll be doing 5 push ups a day. After a year, you’ll be doing 50 pushups a day. You’ll feel super accomplished, not to mention strong.
23. Sing a song out loud.
24. Have only 20 seconds? Choose one.
25. Hug someone. Human touch makes us calm, relaxed and peaceful.
26. Take a bath with epson salts. Magnesium relaxes your muscles and helps you have a sense of peacefulness making you happier.
27. Send wishes for the people around you to be happy, kind and compassionate.
28. Let go of people that make you unhappy. You can choose to let go with compassion of friends who feel toxic. It’s okay to do that.
29. Read the Alchemist. I read this book right after my Mom died and it changed my mood immeasurably. It’s an amazing mood lifting book.
31. Take a nap. Being well rested is the best way to be happy. Get your sleep in order.